Monday, July 29, 2013

Pinterest Tried and Tested: Chicken Satay on Homemade Naan topped with Cucumber, Cilantro and Coleslaw



I posted
this pic on my instagram yesterday and declared myself a magician. Dinner was homemade garlic naan bread topped with iceberg lettuce, cucumber, cilantro, spring onion, chicken satay and coleslaw. The perfect fusion of salty, nutty, crunchy, tangy, doughy, yummy... Stuart actually groaned at first bite and then ate 3 more.

I make this naan recipe from BudgetBytes. It's good every time. We've even used it for personal pizzas. My tip would be to roll it a little thinner than you think you might need. When I cook it I use garlic butter in the pan but you can brush it with garlic butter afterwards if you prefer. The dough for this can be made in a breadmaker on the dough cycle.
Next on is shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced cucumber - Stuart isn't a fan of cucumber but from the first one he ate with cucumber on it he did say it's a crucial member of this experience - sliced green onion, cilantro, then the Chicken Satay.

I use a basic, trusty Chicken Satay recipe:

2 tbls peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
3 tbls brown sugar
2 tbls curry powder
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 t hot sauce
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cubed or sliced thinnly

Combine all ingredients and marinade chicken in it for 2+ hours

You can skewer them, perfect for the barbeque or grill. I just throw the chicken and the sauce all into a frying pan and cook it slowly that way.

The coleslaw was from a bag - coleslaw mix with mayo, sugar and vinegar.

Yum.

1 comment: